Teacher/Supervisor Prison Education (Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution)
2 Reports To: State Director
3. Date of Employment: February 13, 2013
4. Closing Date for Application: January 25, 2013
5. Description of Position:
The Teacher/Supervisor, Prison Education is a member of the Adult and Prison Education Work Group, College and Workforce Development Branch. The Teacher/Supervisor, Prison Education will be under the direct supervision of the Director for Adult Education. Responsibilities include the following:
6. Major Responsibilities:
- Plan, implement and administer a comprehensive all adult education program including but not limited to adult basic education, English as a Second Language, GED, Groves High School, vocational, special needs, life skills, apprenticeship and media resource programs which address the needs of inmate residents of a correctional institution.
- Coordinate a proctoring system for postsecondary education programs within the correctional institution.
- Supervise adult education teachers in implementation of a quality educational delivery system at the correctional institution.
- Work with the warden, deputy warden, security chief, and correctional staff to coordinate the educational program for incarcerated individuals in the institution.
- Observe, evaluate and coach staff and model effective adult learning practices.
- Maintain data and complete federal and state reports for data based management at the institutional level.
- Chair IEP team monitor special education services, special education record keeping, and coordinate special education services with the Department of Education (DOE) and Department of Correction (DOC) staffs to insure a legally compliant program.
- Identify teacher professional development needs to provide pre-service and in-service training to correctional educators.
- Ensure that federal and state policies and procedures are followed. Programs include but are not limited to WIA – Title II, Perkins/Vocational, and /or IDEA.
- Work cooperatively with the Department of Correction by participating on the classification committee.
- Work with the Department of Correction and educational staff to recruit, assign and schedule students in the educational program.
- Participate in the Adult Education Administrators and Groves Leadership Teams.
- Oversee the education component of the DACS System operated by the Department of Correction.
- Perform teaching duties as assigned.
7. Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in education, adult education, administration, supervision, curriculum development, correctional education, special education or a related field.
- Must meet Adult Education certification requirements.
- Must meet Delaware’s PRAXIS 1 test of basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics requirements
- Minimum five (5) years teaching experience
- Strong communication, organizational and teamwork skills
- An understanding of educational equity and multicultural education
- Capable of setting priorities and working under pressure
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively
- Ability to collaborate with others
Salary will be computed in accordance with the educational level and work experience of the individual selected and in accordance with salary schedules for employees of the Department of Education. Direct deposit of payroll checks is a condition for state employment and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
A criminal background check and the successful completion of the Department of Correction training is required for employment. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Manager should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by his/her supervisor.
Mary L. Cooke, Esq.
Human Resource Office
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street
Dover, Delaware 19901
The Delaware Department of Education is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities.