Vocational Teacher, HVAC with Plumbing Experience (10 month position)
1. Title of Position: Vocational Teacher, HVAC with plumbing experience at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center
2. Reports To: Teacher/Supervisor of Level 5 Prison
3. Date of Employment: Approximately February 13, 2013
4. Closing Date for Application: January 25, 2013
5. Description of Position:
The Vocational Teacher is a member of the education staff at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center. The position is under the direct supervision of the Prison Education Program Teacher/Supervisor.
6. Major Responsibilities:
- Provide instruction in HVAC including: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, piping, soldering, brazing, basic electricity and plumbing. Coordinate educational services with the DOC staff and other program instructors to meet individual student needs. Establish procedures for the use, inventory and upkeep of instructional materials and equipment.
- Be knowledgeable on current practices in the field and make recommendations to administration for future implementation.
- Prepare students for North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certifications.
- Model effective adult education practices in the instruction of adult inmates.
- Maintain data and complete federal and state reports for assigned inmates.
- Attend IEP meetings, when necessary.
- Ensure that federal and state policies and procedures are followed in the classroom including but are not limited to WIA – Title II, Perkins/Vocational, and /or IDEA.
- Work cooperatively with the Department of Correction to promote adult education opportunities upon the request of the Teacher/Supervisor, Prison Education.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Teacher/Supervisor, Prison Education.
7. Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum qualifications: Eligibility for Dept. of Education STS HVAC Certification and State of Delaware HVAC License
- Must meet Delaware’s PRAXIS I test of basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics requirements
- 6 Years of HVAC Experience
- State of Delaware Master HVACR License preferred
- Experience in teaching plumbing preferred
- Strong communication and technological skills are preferred.
- An understanding of educational equity and multicultural education.
- Capable of setting priorities and working under pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively.
Salary will be computed in accordance with the educational level and work experience of the individual selected and in accordance with the salary schedules for employees of the Department of Education. Direct deposit of payroll checks is a condition of state employment, and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
A criminal background check and Department of Correction training is required. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Teacher should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by his/her supervisor.
Mary L. Cooke, Esq.
Human Resource Office
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street
Dover, Delaware 19901
The Delaware Department of Education is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities.