Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles
Mission of the Early Development and Learning Resources:
To support the development of a comprehensive early childhood system, birth through the early primary years, that works with families, early care and education programs, schools and communities to develop children who are physically and emotionally healthy and eager to learn.
Our Vision for the Future:
All of Delaware's young children will have available the supports they require to ensure that they are physically, socially and emotionally healthy. Early learning opportunities that are developmentally appropriate and individualized will be available to every child whether at home, in early childhood programs, and in schools. Delaware's young children will live, play and learn in safe and nurturing environments.
Guiding Principles of the Early Childhood System:
- Early childhood encompasses children from birth through the early primary grades.
- Early Learning Foundations and Common Core Standards are the framework for children's learning.
- The early childhood system ensures families have access to the knowledge and resources to support their children's development and well-being.
- A system for continuous monitoring of children's health, development and learning is essential for ensuring services are developmentally appropriate and individualized for each child.
- Effective curriculum and instructional practices are scientific and/or evidence based (intentional, individualized, with appropriate scope and sequence) for ALL* young children.
- Early childhood programs and schools are engaged in systematic approaches to continuously improve quality. Quality rating of programs and schools are shared with families and the public.
- The early childhood system is in place to ensure programs and schools are ready, willing and able to meet the needs of young children and their families.
- The early childhood system supports successful and seamless transitions for children and their families.
- A system is in place that ensures professional development and technical assistance is available for individuals that work with young children and their families.
- A system is in place for data collection and evaluation to measure the impact of services on child outcomes and to guide the continuous improvement of the early childhood system.
- Shared governance by the public and private sectors provide the infrastructure of the early childhood system.
*ALL means ALL - children with disabilities, English language learners, and other children who maybe at risk