Before you begin you might want to consider:
- the principles of a representative democracy
- the protections afforded to individuals and groups by the U.S. Constitution
- evidence from the U.S. Constitution to support your position
Occasion: a letter
Audience: the editor of the local newspaper
Purpose: to explain
ELA Content Standards Addressed:
1.3- Writers will produce examples that illustrate the following discourse classifications: persuasive, informative and expressive.
2.4k- Relate the content of the text to real-life situations.
2.5b- Formulate and express opinions
2.6a- Offer a personal response to text
- Why am I writing? For whom? What am I trying to achieve through my writing?
- Audience and purpose (e.g., inform, persuade, entertain) influence the use of literary techniques (e.g., style, tone, word choice).
- A writer’s point of view is based on his experience.