Cycle One of the mentoring program focuses on Classroom Environment (Component Two of Delaware’s DPAS II Framework/ Domain Two of Danielson's Framework) The purpose of this cycle is to help you to get a clear picture of your classroom environment as the teacher of record.
CYCLE ONE - PROCEDURES/FORMS
1. Observation #1 – Your mentor will observe 30 minutes of your instruction. Discuss with your mentor how/when you will be observed. Mentors are encouraged to video your performance so that you can review the video alone and together. If videoing is not possible at your site, the mentor shall observe you and record notes of what he/she sees and hears during your instruction on the Observation Form for Cycle One.
2. Preparation for Post-Observation Meeting - Your mentor will schedule a meeting with you soon after your observation. Prior to this meeting you should review the Guiding Questions for Classroom Environment. This document provides potential questions that may be asked of you by your mentor or an administrator. You are not required to answer the questions in written form; however, you should think about how you would respond if the question were to be asked of you and discuss any clarifications that you may need with your mentor.
3. Post-Observation #1 Meeting - During the meeting, the mentor will complete a discussion log and review your current practice with you. The purpose of the discussion log is to celebrate your successes, identify your challenges, and determine what support and resources you may need to become more effective in this component. You will be given a copy of your discussion log. After identifying the evidence of your practice in Component Two (Classroom Environment), you will select one element as your area of focus. (Choose any element from Component Two of the Framework Chart) At the conclusion of this meeting, you and your mentor should determine any needs and/or resources you may want related to this component and agree as to how/when they will be provided.
4. Video Streaming – You should plan to focus on refining your skills in the selected element for a period of 2 to 4 weeks. During that time, you will review video streaming clips ranging from 3 to 10 minutes that will provide you with examples of best practice from which you may seek strategies or clarifications related to your area of focus. Your site coordinator will provide you with a username and password so that you can access the videos from the Educational Impact Online Learning Academy. After observing at least three (3) video clips related to your chosen area of focus, complete the New Teacher Video Form and share and discuss your responses with your mentor.
5. Observation #2 – Your mentor will schedule a time to observe you during instruction for a second time and record notes of what he/she sees & hears on the Observation Form for Cycle One focusing only on the element that you chose to work on.
6. Post-Observation #2 Meeting- During this meeting, your mentor will complete the discussion log for the second time. You and your mentor will review your practice and any notes or questions that you may have. Together, you will review the Framework Rubrics and highlight your current level of performance on each of the elements for Component 2 (Classroom Environment) which will determine your next steps in the mentoring process. If it is determined that your current level of performance is in the “Proficient” range, you should move on to Cycle Two. If you still identify as “Basic” in an element(s) you may want to refine your practice in these areas while working with your mentor. It is advisable to remain in Cycle One until the majority of the elements of Component Two (Classroom Environment) are at the "Proficient" level.
7. Workshop Requirement – At some point during Cycle One, you will be attending a Parent Conference Workshop which will focus on important aspects of parent/teacher conferences. During this workshop, your lead mentors and mentor will provide you with insights and strategies to assist you in communication with parents and other interested parties. You may use this Communication Workshop Information Form unless your site provides you with an alternate form designated to meet its’ needs. (Communication Workshop PowerPoint Presentation)
8. Verification/Cycle One Sign-Out – At the end of Cycle One, you are to complete a Verification of Services Form for New Teachers. This is a personal statement and should not be completed while you are meeting with your mentor. You only need to check off the statements and sign the form. You are provided an opportunity to note any concerns on the form. It is important that you be honest. If you feel that you need to be matched with a different mentor, please indicate that you would like a change. Send the completed form to your Lead Mentor/Site Coordinator as indicated by your school/district. (Click here for Cycle One Verification of Services Form for mentors)
DOCUMENTATION OF CYCLE ONE COMPLETION
You will be issued a certificate of completion for Cycle One which must be kept for a period of three years.
Please place the following items in your portfolio as documentation for Cycle One:
- Copies of discussions logs given to you by your mentor
- New Teacher Video Form
- Parent workshop form(s)
- Certificate of completion for Cycle One
Click on link for access to the following: Cycle One for Mentors / Cycle Two for Mentors (coming soon!)