Steps for Cycle One – New Teachers
Cycle One of the mentoring program focuses on Classroom Environment (Component Two of Delaware’s DPAS II Framework/ Domain Two of Danielson's Framework) The purpose of this cycle is to provide support and guidance to new educators as they strengthen their skills and increase their knowledge related to creating a classroom environment conducive to student learning and academic success.
CYCLE ONE - PROCEDURES/FORMS
1. Observation #1 – Your Mentor will observe 30 minutes of your instruction. Discuss with your Mentor how/when you will be observed. Mentors are encouraged to video your performance so that you can review the video alone and together. If videoing is not possible at your site, the Mentor shall observe you and record notes of what he/she sees and hears during your instruction on the Observation Form One for Cycle One .
2. Preparation for Post-Observation Meeting - Your Mentor will schedule a meeting with you soon after your observation. Prior to this meeting, you should review the Guiding Questions for Classroom Environment. This document provides potential questions that may be asked of you by your Mentor or an administrator. You are not required to answer the questions in written form; however, you should think about how you would respond if the question were to be asked of you and discuss any clarifications that you may need with your Mentor.
3. Post-Observation #1 Meeting - During the meeting, your Mentor will review your current practice with you and, together, you will complete Discussion Log One for Cycle One. The purpose of the Discussion Log is to celebrate your successes, identify your areas for growth, and determine what support and resources you may need to become more effective in this component. You will be given a copy of your Discussion Log. After identifying the evidence of your practice in Component Two (Classroom Environment), you will select one criterion as your area of focus. (Choose any criterion from Component Two of the "A Framework for Teacher's Components" Chart) At the conclusion of this meeting, you and your Mentor should determine any needs and/or resources you may want related to this criterion and agree as to how/when they will be provided.
4. Video Streaming – You should plan to focus on refining your skills in the selected criterion for a period of 2 to 4 weeks. During that time, you will review video streaming clips ranging from 3 to 10 minutes that will provide you with examples of best practice from which you may seek strategies or clarifications related to your area of focus. Your Site Coordinator will provide you with a username and password so that you can access the videos from the Educational Impact Online Learning Academy. After observing at least three (3) video clips related to your chosen area of focus, complete the New Teacher Video Form and share and discuss your responses with your Mentor.
5. Observation #2 – Your Mentor will schedule a time to observe you during instruction for a second time and record notes of what he/she sees & hears on the Observation Form Two for Cycle One focusing only on the criterion that you chose to work on.
6. Post-Observation #2 Meeting- During this meeting, you and your Mentor will review your practice, discuss any questions you may have and, together, you will complete the Discussion Log Two for Cycle One . You and your Mentor will also review the "Component Rubrics for Teachers" Chart and highlight your current level of performance on each of the criteria for Component 2 (Classroom Environment) which will determine your next steps in the mentoring process. If it is determined that your current level of performance is in the “Proficient” range, you should move on to Cycle Two. If you still identify as “Basic” in a criterion you may want to refine your practice in this area while working with your Mentor. It is advisable to remain in Cycle One until the majority of the criteria of Component Two (Classroom Environment) are at the "Proficient" level.
7. Workshop Requirement – At some point during Cycle One, you will be attending a Parent Conference Workshop which will focus on important aspects of parent/teacher conferences. During this workshop, your Lead Mentors and Mentor will provide you with insights and strategies to assist you in communication with parents and other interested parties. You may use this Communication Workshop Information Form unless your site provides you with an alternate form designated to meet its’ needs. (Parent Communication PowerPoint Presentation)
8. Verification/Cycle One Sign-Out – At the end of Cycle One, you are to complete a Verification of Services Form for New Teachers. This is a personal statement and should not be completed while you are meeting with your Mentor. You only need to check off the statements and sign the form. If you feel that you need to be matched with a different Mentor, please contact your Site Coordinator directly. Send the completed Verification of Services form to your Lead Mentor/Site Coordinator as indicated by your school/district. (Click here for Cycle One Verification of Services Form for Mentors)
DOCUMENTATION OF CYCLE ONE COMPLETION
You will be issued a Certificate of Completion for Cycle One which must be kept for a period of three years.
Please place a copy of the following items in your portfolio as documentation for Cycle One:
- Discussions Logs given to you by your Mentor
- New Teacher Video Form
- Parent Communication Workshop Form(s)
- Cycle One Verification of Services Form for New Teachers
- Certificate of Completion for Cycle One
Click on link for access to the following: Cycle One for Mentors / Cycle Two for Mentors (coming soon!)